Thursday, April 4, 2013

2013 Trout Adventures

March 27th, 2013.  My trout season got started with a snowy, cool, day.  I am taking off work on Wednesdays this year, thinking the fishing will be better in the middle of the week instead of Mondays like last year.  The day was the warmest so far this year (low 30s) therefore, spring fever hit me pretty hard.  My valley had no previous fishing traffic, evidenced by the deep snow with no tracks, well, at least no human tracks!  There were plenty of deer, fox, coyote, turkey, and one trail with canine tracks sized between orange and grapefruit!  Wolf?  Either that or a real large dog.  The walking was hard with now trail broke, and I found out that I am either getting old, or I am not in summer shape, probably both!  I caught six brownies, three of which were in the 15 to 18" range, the others 10 to 14 ".  I also caught 3 brookies around 12 ".  My leg muscles were a little sore the next day, but that is to be expected for an old guy!  As always, I thank God for His Bounty, and for giving me the opportunity to partake.

Wednesday April 3rd, 2013.
The forecast is for upper 40s, possible 50, so I am heading to the Lanesboro area once again, although not the same stream I last fished.  This is a spring fed stream of about 3 miles with many many oxbows on the lower end.  I started fishing shortly after noon and found almost perfect conditions.  The water was a little cloudy, but the visibility was great.  I found large brown trout at almost every log, undercut bank, and long deep pools.  The fishing was hot and heavy, the fish a little spooky, especially after missing one.  It was some of the best trout fishing in a long while.  After working my way upstream for about 2 hours, the water seemed much faster and higher, and also much less visibility, in fact down right muddy, with no visibility at all.  I walked the road back to my Outback, and thought I would try back where I started.  The same spots I fished previously were now unfishable, the water was over where I had been standing on the bank.  I estimate the water was 2 feet higher than the  prior 2 hours.  The warm afternoon temperature was now close to 50 and the snow melt was in full force.  It was time to head back home to Rochester. During this trip, I must have counted 2 dozen deer, some as close as 20 feet from me.  I thanked God for His bounty and for giving me the opportunity to partake.


1 comment:

cburdick75 said...

John, I have been thinking alot about you lately, we should try to hook up and do some trout fishing on the ole Indian?? I have moved to Plainview now. I will try to give you a call this weekend. I miss ya pal. I just love reading your adventures as well. You are poetically inclined!!